UNIMAID, Where Emir of Bichi was ‘Made’ – Alh. Shuaibu Bello made befiting points…
Mohammed Dahiru Lawal
It is a common saying among students and alumni of the University of Maiduguri that ‘if you want to be made, come to UNIMAID.
Verily, the University of Maiduguri has proved its mettle over time, producing notable Nigerians that have gone on to leave indelible marks in their fields of endeavors including
1. The 9th and current governor of Abia State, Okiezie Victor Ikpeazu
2. Former Attorney general of the federation; Michael Aondoakaa
3. Former Inspector General of the Nigerian Police Force; Ibrahim Kpotun Idris
4. Former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu
5. Current Senate President Ahmad Lawan and
6. Current Attorney general of the federation, Abubakar Malami.
Other notable Alumni include,
1. Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed
2. Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello,
3. Former Borno State governor, Kashim Shetima,
4. Former Chief of Army Staff, Lt. gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai and
5. The current Emir of Bichi, HRH, Alhaji Nasiru Ado Bayero.
“As a student of Mass Communication at the university, the then Prince Nasiru Ado Bayero was calm, collected and comports himself in a befitting way of the royalty that flows in his veins. We have a lecturer who although ailing, forced himself to attend this coronation, that’s because of Nasiru’s level of association with people irrespective of class,” Alhaji Shuibu Bello, the Emir’s bossom friend told Royalty Magazine.
Bello who met the Emir at the university, had gone on to maintain a friendship tie and family bond spanning over four decades. “Being who he was, he honors invitations from everyone and he reads a lot. He also plays Badmington, sometimes we all trek to the field. He had this brand new golf car that was bought for him at the time golf was just coming in. So, when a lot of people come to go and play badminton with him and the car is not able to take all of us, he just leaves the car behind and we all trek together,” Alhaji Shuaibu reminisced over his UNIMAID days with the Emir.
ERMI recalls that his father, the late Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero was in 1988 appointed as Chancellor of UNIMAID.
“Myself and the then Prince Nasiru attended the late Ado Bayero’s investiture together at that time,” Alhaji Bello recalled as he continued to recount the many fund memories they have shared together.
Since graduating from UNIMAID, his highness has since gone on to graduate from the prestigious Harvard Business School and has maintained interest in business where he seats on the board of multinationals while serving as director in others.
Founded in 1975, the University of Maiduguri as one of the second generation universities, which formed part of the third National Development plan (1975 -80), by then federal military government is located in the capital of Borno State in North Eastern Nigeria.
The University’s immediate environment is made up of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Taraba and Yobe, the five successor state of the defunct North Eastern Nigeria.